About Us

The San Joaquin Valley Lapidary Society is located in Bakersfield, California. We are a group of rock hounds dedicated to the sharing of knowledge about the lapidary arts. We meet weekly for workshops in lapidary, silversmith, and wire wrapping/beading. We were founded in 2005, and are incorporated as a 501 (c) 3. Part of our focus is education, and offer a program for area elementary school 4th and 6th graders that supplements their geology studies.

San Joaquin Valley Lapidary Society

San Joaquin Valley Lapidary Society

Monday, January 5, 2015

The ones that got away.

 

These are the pictures that I wanted to use in the Jan.'15 SJVLS newsletter....it was not to be. I use Publisher to build the newsletter and I put together a photo page on page 2. When all was finished, proofed as best I can proof my own work, I went to my Corel PDF program, to convert the Publisher file to a PDF file for emailing. Woe is me the PDF file photo page was messed up .Several  pictures somehow only printed a portion of them, such as the top of Bernie's head, and the red packages in the picture with the elephant.

I thought the worst of course, there is something wrong with my program, or this stupid computer with its Windows 7 operating system trying to run my old XP programs. I did the conversion over, and over, and over again. I reinstalled Corel. I even looked for a computer loaded with XP online and bought, and then cancelled my order.

That was a day or two ago. I called Office Max to see if they could do a PDF conversion, and they said yes. So I thought that was what I would do. Further thinking brought me to this little nugget. Suppose it can't be converted by them either. Maybe there is something wrong with the Publisher file.

Today I decided I had better try and get this to work at home. I created a new version of the newsletter in Publisher. I moved the photo page to the third page. I unlinked the first and second page. DID NOT WORK. Then, I exchanged pictures. One of them worked. Now I had a clue, something wrong with the pictures. I went back to the camera and uploaded some more shots, and out of all this fussing I finally got a page that worked. I got my PDF document.



Now all I needed to do was print my newly minted  Publisher
file that I use to make mailing copies. Well, now the printer is slightly out of ink, and the photos are slightly banded. Close enough!  I suppose I could make copies from the original Publisher document that I had already printed. That would give me two different versions of the Jan. 15 newsletter. I like the second Publisher newsletter better so far as layout goes, and I tightened up the silver stain article some more, even had room for a cartoon.  





No comments:

Post a Comment